Keywords: Homeoprophylaxis, Choice, Mandated vaccines, Media, Cell-mediated immunity.
Parents are wondering how much choice they have when it comes to making health decisions for their children. Are there other choices that may not follow the traditional vaccination schedule to protect children from various diseases? Can parent be more self-reliant with healthcare for their families? As homeopaths we can certainly shed light on this topic.
These questions reflect the minds of independent thinkers. Independent thinking requires critical observation. We must look below the surface! As homeopaths we tend to be independent and out-of-the-box thinkers to begin with. Parents appreciate the input we have to offer. Parents can learn from us how to look deeper.
With the recent passage of SB277, most of us have been made painfully aware of the tremendous focus on mandating and pushing vaccines more heavily. Unfortunately, there is much being offered as “fact” through print, TV and social media lately. There are a few things to remember when being exposed to this firehose of information.
Sharyl Attkisson, the renowned investigative journalist, likens propaganda to Astroturf, or artificial grass, since it has no roots or depth. She explains by saying, “Astroturf seeks to manipulate you into changing your opinion by making it seem as if you’re an outlier–when you’re not. Hallmarks of Astroturf and propaganda include use of inflammatory language such as quack, crank, nutty, pseudo, paranoid and conspiracy. Beware when an interest addresses an issue by making a controversy out of it or attacking the people, personalities and organizations surrounding the issue rather than the facts. That could be Astroturf.”
According to the media, there is no other way to protect your child besides conventional vaccination. This is not the whole story. Parents DO have a choice. Homeoprophylaxis provides a safe and natural option.
As homeopaths, we are committed to healing the whole person. We have a responsibility to explore and understand homeoprophylaxis as a viable option to offer parents. Here are a few key points to share with parents that are easy to grasp and profound in their implications.
Coming into contact with a bacteria or virus prior to an epidemic assists with “educating” the immune system. When one has been exposed to the frequency of the disease through a homeopathic nosode, one is more equipped to mount a natural cell mediated immune response when the same disease is encountered in a material form.
98% of healthy immune response is cell mediated, meaning it is non-specific. This is innate, natural immunity and not dependent on antibodies. Memory based response – antibody production – comprises only 2% of immune function. Vaccines are aimed at specific, inflammatory immune response that creates antibodies. Studies have shown this method to be flawed. Focusing only on antibody production actually causes an imbalance and compromises our natural immunity.
Science is shifting sand. What’s in vogue today is often found to be ineffective or downright dangerous tomorrow. Look what history has taught us about Thalidomide, tobacco, or DES exposure to name just a few. It requires some critical thinking and a broader perspective to make wise individual choices. Even a brief glance at history can provide a better vantage point.
Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948) was against vaccination due to its dangers and lack of effectiveness. A few of his points apply today as well as they did in the early 1900’s.
1) Vaccinated individuals can become infected and non-vaccinated can be immune
2) Vaccination is risky by injecting animal products into humans
3) The route of administration is all wrong. Immunity starts in mucous membranes, not by injecting
4) Fear of disease is the driving force
5) Economic increase is the prime motivation of vaccine manufacturers
6) Sanitary conditions – clean water, food, air and waste removal are key factors in immunity
Homeoprophylaxis (HP) provides a reasonable answer to each of these concerns.
1) Since antibodies are not the goal of HP, immunity is activated through cell mediated immunity that can most effectively protect in the long term.
2) No animal products are used in the production of HP. Due to the dilution process; no molecules are present to introduce foreign materials into the recipient. Also no additives, antibiotics, adjuvants or animal cells are present.
3) The route of administration is by mouth, assuring contact with mucous membranes.
4) Fear of disease is eliminated by the understanding that bacteria and viruses morph in order to survive. The wise approach would be to interface with these microorganisms in the safest possible way. Diluted HP dosing accomplishes this.
5) HP remedies are economical to produce and last indefinitely, requiring no refrigeration to maintain potency, and
6) Homeopathic philosophy supports and encourages clean conditions and natural means to support inherent immunity.
Robust immunity is not about manipulating the production of antibodies. It is much more than that. By clarifying these key points to parents seeking an alternative, we can inform without coercion and offer the larger picture in a rational way. Once tried, homeoprophylaxis speaks for itself.
1. Retrieved from: http://sharylattkisson.com/propaganda-and-astrotuf-recognize-it/ February 9, 2015.
2. Ji, Sayer. How the Micobiome Destroyed the Ego, Vaccine Policy and Patriarchy. Retrieved from: http://Greenmedinfo.com. 5 August 2015.
3. Cowling, Fang, et al. Increased risk of non-influenza respiratory virus infections associated with receipt of influenza vaccine. Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases 2012;54(12): 1778-83.
4. Ji, Sayer. Gandhi’s Anti-Vaccine Views Ring True a Century Later. Retrieved from: http://Greenmedinfo.com. 2 February 2015